- 60g corn kernels (not from a microwaveable pack. The fresher the kernels the better the pop!)
- Stainless steel or non-stick pan with tight fitting lid (approximately 2 litre capacity). Or glass microwaveable dish.
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon of salt
- seasonings of your choice – eg salt, chilli powder, ground cumin, nutritional yeast, fajita spice mix, fresh herbs finely chopped
- liquid – a little apple cider vinegar or lime juice to help the seasoning stick
Put corn in a glass microwavable dish & cover dish with a piece of kitchen towel, folding it under the base of the dish to hold the paper towel in place & stop the corn escaping. Cook on high for about 3 minutes 45 seconds (timings will vary with microwave models – so cook until you hear the kernels popping every 2-3 seconds. Remove dish – taking care with hot dish & steam.
Heat the pan with the lid on a medium-high heat for 2 minutes. Quickly add the corn kernels & salt, & replace the lid reducing the heat to just above low. Remove from heat when popping is every 2-3 seconds apart.
- Put the popped corn into a large bowl. Add a little lime juice or apple cider vinegar and stir to coat the corn. If you have a little spray bottle put the juice/vinegar in here & spray the corn. This will help your choice of seasoning stick to the corn. Do this just before serving.